Thursday, October 20, 2011

He's Two!!

Michael turned 2 on Friday the 14
(We bought Michael a kitchen set and I tried setting that up by myself so he could wake up to it in his room but there were too many pieces and it was late, so that project was left for daddy :)
Michael woke up and I sang happy birthday to him, the sprout version is still his favorite
I got him dressed and then fed Shelby, got her dressed and we were out the door at 8:30.
I picked my brother up and we headed for the Seattle zoo and aquarium - Point Defiance
I wanted to take Michael where there were fish, because he loves them. We thought about going to the Oregon coast aquarium but decided against it. I had never been to the S.Z.&A so it was a first for all of us.
When we got up to Seattle we were following directions via garmin and my brother kept asking me if I typed in the right address. I had found the zoo address in the garmin, it had to be right, right? We were turning into neighborhoods. Lots of houses. It kept getting more and more dense with houses and we were about to turn around when I turned right and there was woods! We turned into the woods and wound up at the zoo. Crazy.

We got the kids out and hiked down to the entrance. The stroller route took forever, long switchbacks. At one point we looked over and there was a peacock just chillin next to a car. I thought that was so neat. As a kid going to the Portland zoo they used to have peacocks roaming around, then got rid of them. So it just brought back some neat memories. We went through the gates and looked ahead and the view was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Beautiful view of the bay. I looked at my brother and said "I am so excited" HA! My brother laughed at me. 

We started with the wolves, then it was an artic fox, polar bears, and then these funny looking birds, otters and then the seals and walruses! We looked at the seals underwater viewing area and I was like oh my gosh look, to the right were the 2 giant walruses. It was so majestic watching these giant creatures glide through the water. Michael was in complete aww. Running back and forth from the seals to the walruses. Then the walruses started to Mate and all of the sudden this little boy, must have been 8 or so yells "Oh my gosh, they're doin it, DAD they're mating, oh my gosh, I have to go tell my dad" and he runs off. Jake and I were cracking up and we could hear the dad say, "Oh I am sure it just loves taps, they're just playing." Then he comes in to find, walla. He says "Oh well that's just nature, its natural for them." You could so tell the dad wasn't prepared for that. We kept walking and were able to witness the spotted leopard cubs playing the their pin together for the first time. The zookeepers were in the pin taking photos and video to document. It was cool it be able to witness that. We then went and had lunch which is a story all it's own, I'll post a separate blog about that. We toured the monkeys and tiger pens. Then it was elephants and then the aquarium. Michael loved it. He sat next to my brother and just watched the fish swim. It was so neat watching him in aww over the fish. We went and road the merry-go-round and left the zoo.

I cooked Michael a cheese ravioli dinner and Sean made it home. We sang happy birthday again and gave Michael a chocolate cupcake which he took his time with. Def. a lot less messy then last year :)
Michael headed to bed and Sean set up Michael's kitchen which he woke up to Saturday morning and took to it right away.  

No comments: