Monday, November 7, 2011

to pierce or not to pierce

Lately more and more people have been asking us if we are going to pierce Shelby's ears
She is 4 months old, and the later we wait the harder it will be
I love earrings on little babies & want to pierce her ears, and Sean is all for it
Here are the things that are preventing me from doing it
1) The thought of her when she is older asking us "Why didn't you wait to give me the choice?"
 &
2) I am allergic to copper, silver, anything not GOLD pretty much. I am worried that I may have passed that to Shelby and don't want to put her through that process if she is going to have a reaction. I also know that I can have her ears pierced with 14k earrings which would prevent the reaction if she were to have one. 
So here I am at a crossroads
I think I am going to eventually, maybe by Christmas
I do know that if I were to wait until she made the choice herself I would be more than willing to let her do it. My mother hated the thought of having wholes in the body and would not let my get my ears done until I was 16, thus bringing me to want to get my daughters done soon. 

2 comments:

Rox said...

I can see your dilemma! I used to think if I had a girl I'd pierce her ears right away, but then I talked to a piercer (or whatever their official title is) who actually changed my mind... she said that there isn't a lot of "coming of age" rituals in North America and taking a little girl to get her ears pierced when she says she's ready can be really excited and fun. I liked the sound of that.
Of course I have no judgement either way! Shelby is such a cute baby it doesn't matter if you do it now or wait. :)

Anonymous said...

Was searching for my GF's blog and came across yours. Started reading about whether to pierce or not to pierce your dd's ears now.

I think you should you should go ahead and pierce Shelby's ears now. All little girls want pierced like you did and she'll look adorable in her upcoming holiday pictures with little earrings! I think babies and little girls with pierced ears demonstrate their femaleness and they look very feminine with them.

When I took our dd to her 2 mos appt and shots, her pediatrician asked me if we were getting her ears pierced...I was thinking maybe around 2 or 3. She then told me that the best time is now or when she is out of the toddler/preschool stage. She said that little toddlers and preschoolers come in with infections because they constantly play with them and it is harder for them to sit still to let the parents clean the ears. She also said if they cry,it is not because of the pain, but being restrained or the noise of the piercing instrument near their ears. When she said this, I was relieved I wouldn't be hurting her and made the decision to have it done.

Admittedly, I hadn't even thought about it so I called dh who said if the ped recommended it, then it was fine to go ahead and have it done now after her DTap shots. Subconsciously, I secretly knew I wanted her ears pierced, but didn't think dh would want it done so young. Also, I had been admiring some of the babies and cute little girls in the ped's waiting room with little earrings and wondered how Sandi would look with them. In a spur of the moment decision, I told the ped's nurse I wanted to have her ears pierced today! So....we decided to do it now! She cried when we got them done, but as soon as I stood up with her and we walked outside she had stopped!! She is even more adorable with little earrings in her cute little ears! :-) Our ped gave me some tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced and "Care for Newly Pierced Ears."

If you and any moms would like them, write me an e-mail.

Amyswor@hotmail.com