Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hot Dog Day

(His last day as a 2 year old)

This year my big bright eyes munchkin turned 3! Is it possible to be happy and sad about this? He arrival into this world was such a HUGE blessing. He made me a mommy, something I never thought possible.

Michael James 10-14-09, 4:41pm, 7lbs 7oz, 19 1/2 inches

We stayed low key this year. The past two years I have made such a huge deal about the party when in reality he had no idea what was going on. I knew this year he would have more of an understanding but I still kept it low key and it turned out perfect!


I had in mind a theme which was Mickey mouse. Michael asks for Mickey everyday and loves the hot dog dance! I scanned my go to site pinterest for inspiring ideas. I saw a hot dog bar and thought how perfect is that, since Mickey and the hot dog dance and Michael's favorite, turkey dogs. 


I was going to make a nifty invite but lost track of time and ended up buying mickey invites from the store. I was bummed I couldn't make a unique invite like I did last year but I will always have next year :) 


My husband and I woke Michael up on his birthday and sang him happy birthday. He grinned ear to ear and I could feel he felt so special. My husband took Michael into the kitchen and had Mike help him brew up a batch of chocolate cupcakes to add to our yellow cupcakes. I got busy making a fruit salsa and Cinnamon tortilla wedges (turned out terrific and def. a go to party food for me now).


I gathered the gifts and food for the party and took off with my mom down to the park to set up. We had planned on a BBQ for the hot dogs but the park ranger said no fire, there is a burn ban that had just been put into effect. I called Sean and told him to dig out our propane camping grill and bring it with him (thank goodness we had one!) 


My mom and I got busy blowing up oodles of balloons. I used black and red balloons and taped them onto the wall to form the number 3 as the backdrop to the food table. I also blew up a huge beach balloon the is such as tall as it is wide as Michael. I get it for a dollar at winco in their clearance selection from their summer goodies and it was a huge hit last year so I got it again for this year. 

Sean showed up with the kids and got to work on the dogs. Pretty soon our guests started to arrive and we started our chit chatting and watching the kiddos play. When the food was ready everyone dug in. 

I was interrupted but a couple during our party. They had planned on having a birthday party at the same place and was wondering if by some chance we would mind sharing the shelter with them. I said by all means please do, we don't all this space. We moved some table around so that the shelter kinda look somewhat separated and the other couple got to work setting up their costume themed party. 

I had Mike sit on the floor and handed him his gifts and he was more than happy to open each one, BUT he also wanted to play with each one as he opened it. He was quite the happy camper. 


The kids set off to the playground again and then it was time for Cupcakes. We frosted them in chocolate and put mini oreos, and mini chips ahoy in the cup cakes to look like little mickey mouse cakes. Michael squealed "EARS!" I had him sit in a chair and everyone surrounded him with the happy birthday song. When it was time to blow out his candle he knew just what to do!


We all visited for a while after the festivities were over and Michael loved visiting and playing with his friends. I think he had a blast and I know I felt good about it. I didn't over do it, meaning I didn't allow myself to get worked up over the little details. I just let it be and it was perfect!


(Throughout the party I kept asking what time it was, and each time I would reflect how I was at that time three years ago. I had Michael at 4:41 pm, so when I heard it was 2:25pm I would say, I've been pushing for twenty minutes now, and I would get chuckles. I pushed for nearly 3 hours until he finally came out!) 


Happy 3rd Birthday little Buddy. You light up my world everyday. Love you all the way to the moon and back Michael. 

No comments: