Saturday, April 28, 2012

Jason Robert Thomas

On Friday April 13 Jason Robert Thomas (28) passed away.


I met Jason when my best friend Nicole and I were on a walk with my dogs. He lived halfway between my house and her house. He stuck his head out of his window and Nikki gave her little Hey, and he whistled and ran outside to meet us. From the moment on Nikki, Jason and Myself ran around together. We spent a whole summer together. Nikki, Jason and his sisters even threw me a surprise 14th birthday party. That fall Nikki became pregnant at 15. I remember seeing Jason & him just smiling. He knew that having a baby so young would be hard, but he was just happy he was going to be a dad. The following summer Nikki gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Paris, that was born on July 7, my birthday :) I was in Ohio visiting family when Paris was born. I remember Jason's sister e-mailing me to tell me Nikki had a girl and she was born July 8. I was so bummed. As soon as I got home I rushed over to Nikki's to meet the new little princess and was so shocked to find out Paris and I shared the same birthday. I remember looking at Paris and thinking that she looks so much like Jason. Nikki and Jason used to bring Paris over to my house when she was first born. Jason was ALWAYS smiling. He was so proud of Paris, so proud to be her Dad. I don't remember too much from the time Paris turned a year old. Jason and Nikki had went their separate ways but Jason remained faithful to Paris. He wasn't able to support her financially but gave her everything she needed to be the best person she can be. I used to run into Jason randomly where he worked. His first topic ALWAYS was Paris. What she was up to, what she liked. The last time I saw Jason was a few years ago when I got onto the bus and there was Jason. We rode the bus together all the way down mill plain. I remember him telling me about Paris, and that he wanted to go back to visit Arizona but would never leave Vancouver, because Paris lived here. He never wanted to leave her. 

That run in with Jason has been replaying in my thoughts over and over since his passing. My hearts breaks knowing a friend has passed, but it breaks even more for Paris. She is only 10. The day Jason passed I rushed over to her house and there were quite a few people there. Paris walked up to me and gave me a huge hug. I looked at her and asked her if she wanted to go for a walk. She wasn't crying. She was her normal self. I didn't want to ask her about it. I just wanted her to breathe and if she talked about it then she did. We ended up talking about where her friends lived in the neighborhood but Jason was never brought up. I think she was in shock and didn't quite understand what was going on.


A week after Jason's passing Nikki asked if I would like to attend the viewing of his body. I left Michael at home with dad and brought Shelby. She stayed asleep for quite a while. When it was time for Paris to go see Jason, Nikki asked everyone to leave the room and Just Herself, Paris and I go in. I felt so needed at that moment. I was so grateful I was there to support Paris and Nikki. Both of them needed me. Nikki and I walked with Paris into the viewing room and let her know we were there for her. Nikki broke down and I grabbed her trying to embrace both of them. Give them both strength. 


Sunday was Jason's memorial. Nikki had made all the arrangements and did such a beautiful Job. Jason's life was captured and we talked about his life and what he did to make us all happy. A man from Nikki's church sang a few beautiful songs from the church song book that set a peaceful tone to the service. Nikki's grandma had gotten this beautiful flower tree/bush to plant for Jason's Memory. It was a beautiful piece to the ceremony. 

(The Sunflower, Jason's Favorite Flower)

Jason you were a good friend and such a wonderful, loving, and caring father. You will be truly missed. I promise to continue to be there for Paris. She is such a strong little girl that has amazing support. She will be taking care of, and she will never forget you. We love you Jason. 

1 comment:

Rox said...

How tragic for that little girl. Only ten years old and lost her dad, gosh. I'm sorry for you and Nikki and of course all the rest of Jason's family. I'm glad you were able to be there for them. :(