Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dads Visit


On Wednesday April 11. my dad finally arrived to our home after a very long day of traveling. When he walked in I was so frazzled with the kids my mind didn't even skip a step when I saw him. I gave him a really tight hug and kissed him but NO TEARS! Sean was able to stop @ home for the night so him and my dad were able to visit one night. Michael was being really shy at first but it didn't take him long to warm up to "papa". I handed Shelby to dad and it was an aww kind of moment. He melted. He lit up as did she and he said "Oh she is just as cute as a button!" The next morning Sean left and it was just dad and I. We hung out around the house and really didn't do much except visit.





On Friday the 13th it was so nice out we decided to go play @ Marion school park. We let the kids play for quite a while and then when to the store. We shopped around for a little bit and headed home. Once we got home I checked my phone and had multiple missed calls from my childhood best friend and her sister. I called her and per norm when she answered I said her name in a sarcastic way but she responded I could tell something was terribly wrong. She told me that Jason, the father to her daughter had been found, he passed away. I hung up with her and just started balling. My dad was there to console me and I am so thankful he was there. I asked if he would be OK with watching the kids so I could go be with Nikki. I knew she needed me, Paris(her daughter) needed me. He was more than OK with it, so I left and he had some alone time with the kiddos.


 On Sunday my brothers arrived and I took my dad up to the Cigar Shop and dropped him off with his buddy Bob then we all took off to Bob's house and visited with the family until Dad and Bob arrived then it was time for a BBQ. We stayed until way late and the kids were exhausted but had such a good time.


 On Tuesday we went to the store and I got some goodies to make Dad a German Choc. Cake for his birthday. He vowed he wouldn't eat a single piece but enjoyed quite a few helpings. The rest of the week we ran some errands but mostly stayed at the house and played out in the yard on the nice days. Dad even helped mow our lawn, twice! 



On Friday I left Michael with dad and went to the viewing of Jason. Then Sunday my dad left to go help my mom out with a project and then went to visit Bob at the cigar shop again. The kids and I went out and then went to Jason's memorial. Dad wasn't back when I got home from the service so I popped in a lasagna and Dad was so happy to hear that when he got home. On Monday we went to a few places Dad wanted to go to before he left. Then on our way home the kids passed out we went home got Dad a cigar and went down to the waterfront. The kids slept and dad and I enjoyed some sunshine on watched the boats. Michael and Shelby woke up not to long after and we got them out of the car and walked around. It was so nice for all of us to be out and about together. 


Tuesday was dads last night here so Jake and his girlfriend came over and I made breakfast burritos for dinner, and for dessert I made this Chocolate Chip Cookie, Oreo, Brownie layer chocolaty bliss recipe a fellow blogger posted (Thanks Roxanne). That topped off every one's tank. When it was time for Michael to say his good nights my chest became so tight. I was waiting for it, and Michael did not let down. "Night Night Papa, See woo in da Monin". My eyes filled with tears and Dad got the biggest smile on his face and repeated Michael's saying out-loud. He fought back his tears. It was then time to put Shells to bed and she had already fallen asleep in my arms so dad was able to rub her hair and give her a kiss on her forehead. My dad left at 6:45 in the morning on Wednesday. I got up to make sure he had everything and give him one last squeeze. I stood at my door and watched him walk away. Then reality hit me. I went back to bed a mess and turned on some funny videos to help take my mind off of dad leaving. Then a few hours later when Michael got up I was expecting him to ask for Papa but he didn't. Whew bullet dodged. But shortly after lunch I told Michael it was time for a nap and then he asked "Where Papa, he out siiiide? He mokin?" I tried but I couldn't. I just picked Michael up and gave him the biggest hug, cried, and told him papa had to go home, that he loved him so much. "Papa Home?" Yup Papa got on an airplane to go home " Aww Mine, Papa Aww Mine" Then that was that. 


I am sad my dad is gone. I was not ready to say goodbye yet. His visit just went so quick. My brother called me to see how I was doing and then told me we were all going out to see him in the fall. I asked if he was serious and sure enough he was. Him and his girlfriend will come down here then help me with the kids and we will all fly out to see dad for a week or so. That makes me so happy knowing it will not be another 2 years before I see him again! I am so thankful he was able to make the trip out here. To reconnect with Michael and fall in love with Shelby. I am thankful my brothers got to spend time with him. I am glad Sean was able to spend one night with Dad. His visit just brought happiness and love. 

Thanks for everything Dad
I love you all the way to the moon and back




1 comment:

Rox said...

Oh I'm so excited you and your brothers are going to visit in the fall! What an exciting thing to look forward to.
That is the sweetest thing when Michael said, "Aww mine Papa." And you have some cute pictures maybe you can put them in Michael's room so he can remember and talk about Papa!