Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Moving On

Well the day has come after five long years for my husband to say goodbye to his job. 
He has been applying with so many companies over the past few years and nothing has been snagged, well until now

Let's rewind. 2 weeks ago my husband came home from one of his trips very distressed about how things panned out with work during the week. He kept going on and on how no one at the warehouse will listen to him or his concerns.
 He has to maneuver a large semi through small streets in neighborhoods and busy cities (San Fran, LA, Seattle) not only to deliver but also pick up. When he arrives @ customers to pick up one item that was scheduled, they say he supposed to pick up 5, which he was but dispatch didn't tell him. So he spends so much time re arranging his entire truck to fit everything together like a giant puzzle.
Well that weekend he went on a resume/application spree and just prayed something would pan out, and his prayers were answered. 

A company based out of Harrisburg, OR called him Monday to let him know they received his app, and were processing it. On Tuesday he received a call from his work asking why they had gotten a call in reference to employment. Sean explained to his boss and she asked what they could do to keep him there. He asked for a 2 dollar raise, (same amount as other 2 interstate drivers) and paid vacation. She said she would relay to the owner. By Wednesday the trucking company in Harrisburg called and said they had one more thing to check out but would be giving him a call the next day. No call from his work that day, at all. On Thursday the new company called and offered him the job. He gladly excepted but had been so worked up about how stressed he was with his current job he promised to start the next week, no 2 week notice to current job. On Friday he called and talked to his boss, they would only offer him 1 dollar more, and no paid vaca. He let her know he would be leaving the company and this was his last trip for them. 

I was really upset that he didn't give a two week notice. I didn't want him to leave on bad terms with the company. But as it turns out, his boss, his co-workers, and the owner said he has amazing work ethic and if ever wants his job back, he is more than welcome to it. 

Monday we went on a spree trying to get things taken care of and trying to figure out what to pack for him because neither of us knew what to expect. He left Monday afternoon to return his work shirts, and work phone to the company and from there drove to Harrisburg, staying in a "Bunk House" behind the school/company with other new employees.

This week is orientation. Learning about the company, the policies, what to expect and what is expected. They have gone through physicals and a lifting test. They are being tested on basic knowledge of the industry and also what they have been learning. He finishes on Saturday and will come home for a day, or two. Then it's off to sunny so cal for a week for glass training. They offered him two different positions and he took the I-5 corridor route hauling glass on a flatbed, also running into AZ. In CA he will be learning to drive with a flatbed and how to secure the glass.

I am extremely nervous for this new chapter as I have no idea what to expect. For the past 5 years this is all I have known with Sean, and now something new we are starting together.

As nervous as I am I am trying my best to be supportive and encouraging. Yes I have expressed more than one concern, and voiced some opinions but I am keeping myself at bay.

For once in a really long time, Sean is excited. He has this Ora around him that I can't see, but I can hear it in his voice when I talk to him and does that make me happy.

I am proud of my husband for taking a step in a new direction, and I am proud of him for wanting better for our family, and providing for all of us. I am excited for him and scared but I think once I see positive coming from this, which is already is, I will be much calmer
Also since this company is 2 hours south, that's where our little family is headed. My heart had been set on moving to Ohio, but this opportunity came up and I have to do what's best for my family. So here in a few months, for the first time in my life I will call Oregon my home & that is exciting! 

2 comments:

Rox said...

I'm happy for you guys and especially Sean for having the confidence to ask for a raise and then stick to his guns when his old company didn't accept. That's sweet that you can feel his positivity! Good luck, you guys deserve the best!

Megan said...

Oh Wow! Exciting news!! So happy for you guys. We will miss you when you move though :(