Monday, February 21, 2011

Unexpected News

On Saturday February 19 I went to the ER with my husband after I got off of work. I had been having pains on the right side of my body in my hip area steadily for about a few weeks and the pain had just kept getting more and more intense with each passing day. Also for about a week I hadn't felt any flutters from the growing babe inside my tummy. So just for some precautions we went to the ER. We were not able to be seen in the Labor and Delivery because I was under 20 weeks prego. In the ER the checked for a heart beat with the HB monitor and no luck. The nurse said not to worry, it happens a lot this early. I then had an ultra sound and the tech was so quiet for 5 minutes! I was going crazy. I looked at my husband and said "WELL?! Do ya see anything?" The tech was like what? I said we are here because I haven't felt any movement and she said oh they just said you were here for pain, but yea there is plenty of movement and the heart was beating away. She let us hear the baby's heart beat and it sounded really good. I also had a pelvic exam and samples were taking. I also had blood drawn. So here comes the PAC with the news. "Blood looks good, your white blood count is a little high but that may be normal for you, your blood glucose in normal, pelvic exam looked good, baby is moving however, your ultrasound brought up two things that are very concerning. You have placenta previa and Low amniotic fluid. She said my placenta was laying on top of my cervix and that was a concern but not major and then explained that the low amniotic fluid was a high concern. She said this could prevent the baby from growing and developing properly and possibly could cause deformity. " I was in shock, my husband was in shock. Neither of us knew what to say except ask a million questions. The PAC said that these conditions are very common in woman who have had a previous complicated pregnancy and or birth. My pregnancy with Michael was terrific until the very end. So far trouble trouble trouble with this one. My heart is heavy due to the possible outcome I might have to face. The PAC said is was highly likely that I may miscarry and that was not something the either myself or my husband was prepared to hear. When I said that baby in the ultrasound I swear it turned and looked at us and it's little hand came up and waved as if saying "Hi mom, Hi Dad, I'm OK, Don't worry!" This little one has got such a little personality already and it breaks my heart knowing that I might not ever get to meet this little one. I am going to keep my head up however and keep pushing forward. The PAC asked what kind of work I did and she said that the only work that I should be doing is desk work. She recommended that I stop work immediately due to the complications and high risk. I am going to take this one day at a time. That's all I can do.

No comments: